work with us
We need your help! Here’s how to get involved. Also, check our Events page for more ways to get involved.
About-Face Board of Directors
About-Face, a San Francisco-based nonprofit organization, has two vacancies on its board of directors. If you are passionate about helping young women understand the media’s effects on their self-esteem and body image, and preventing the many problems (including eating disorders) that can result from our truly crazed media environment, read on.
Our mission: About-Face equips women and girls with tools to understand and resist harmful media messages that affect their self-esteem and body image. To do this, we lead media-literacy workshops in schools and groups, teach girls and women to take action, and maintain a resource-filled web site.
Who we serve: About-Face serves young women (ages 13-25) from diverse backgrounds, with 50 to 70 percent of those young women being low-income.
Are you committed to working with a group of dedicated, passionate people to support an organization that makes significant changes in the way girls and women see themselves through the lens of the media? Join the About-Face Board of Directors and make your impact!
Who are you?
You are fierce. You are empowered. You make change happen. You are seeking an opportunity to take your volunteerism to the next level in the ways you donate both your time and money. And you have personal and professional skill sets that you are committed to sharing with a group of like-minded women and men.
In this round of recruitment, we are specifically looking for professionally minded individuals who have one or more of the following skills
- Finance: accounting, other finance
- Nonprofit leadership
- Public relations/marketing
Applicants with other relevant skills will also be considered.
What is the recruitment process?
The About-Face board recruitment process begins with a few short-answer questions about your interests and background that is filled out and e-mailed to our office along with your resume. Following your submittal, your application will be reviewed by About-Face’s board and you will be contacted. If it is determined that there is a mutual interest, you will be invited to an interview. Selected board members will be invited to begin their board service at the following month’s board meeting.
Who is the About-Face board?
We are a focused and fun group of women and men who are committed to empowering girls and women with the necessary tools to combat negative media messages. You can see our bios here.
What will be expected of me as an About-Face board member?
- Share your expertise, perspective, and viewpoint.
- Attend monthly 2-hour board meetings in person in San Francisco (currently second Tuesday of each month), and spend additional time depending on other projects.
- Contribute in a productive way to discussions about the organization; have a willingness to hear all members of the group.
- Contribute to the organization by giving a minimum of $500 per year (due on June 30).
- Fundraise for About-Face in your networks according to our yearly fundraising plan.
- Build awareness for About-Face among your networks.
- Make a six-month trial commitment to the About-Face board of directors. (A full board term is 2 years.)
About-Face values ethnic, age, and gender diversity. Women of color are especially encouraged to apply.
If you believe girls and women need help to navigate our media environment and want to explore being part of an effective, professionally run board, please send the following information to Jennifer Berger, About-Face’s executive director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the second Tuesday of each month. We take board applications on a rolling basis.
* Your résumé, in PDF or Word format, attached to the e-mail.
* A brief e-mail (no longer than 1 printed page) answering the following questions:
1) Why do you want to be an About-Face board member? What excites you about About-Face?
2) Why do you support the About-Face mission?
3) Will you be able to fulfill the expectations of board members?
4) What do you think of as your strengths? What unique qualifications would you bring to About-Face’s board of directors?
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
About-Face is looking for blog contributors that already have fantastic writing skills, a great handle on the topics of women/media/body image/eating disorders/self-esteem, and can meet monthly or bi-weekly writing deadlines. Please note that blogging is unpaid, but you will get published on a well-visited web site and some solid portfolio pieces.
If you have not already seen our blog, the teen-focused blog is here and the adult-advocate blog is here. There is some content overlap between the two, but we welcome bloggers who may want to focus on one audience.
People who would be great About-Face bloggers:
- Parents of girls (little and big girls)
- Women of color
- Teenagers (girls AND guys)
- College students
- LGBT & queer folks
- Health at Every Size and fat activists
- Therapists and psychologists
- BUT bloggers cannot represent any fitness, beauty, or weight loss company
You MUST be:
- a really good writer with regard to structure/grammar (require very minimal editing)
- able to meet bi-weekly or monthly deadlines
- open to revision of a piece
We audition new blog writers. If you’re interested, please e-mail email@example.com, and we’ll set up an audition. Audition pieces are generally due on the 15th or last day of the month.
If you’re not in the San Francisco Bay Area, we’d still like to find a way for you to volunteer. We regularly need help with web site updates, creating new sections, etc., so e-mail us about any skills you’d like to contribute, and please tell us your age and where you live.