Oops, I became a product!
Questions to Consider:
- What product is the advertisement selling?
- What is the name on the shopping bag?
- What do the woman’s legs look like?
- Do you think there’s a whole woman in the bag?
- What emotion is the advertiser trying to get you to feel?
- Do you think this ad is funny?
What We Think:
Designer Marc Jacobs doesn’t usually float our boats, and this ad really rubs we About-Facers the wrong way. Here we have Victoria Beckham (aka Posh Spice, if you recall those old Spice Girls days) in a shopping bag. She literally becomes a product to purchase. Never mind the disembodied legs and the strong suggestion of violence. Has she been killed and then put in the bag? Or is she about to be taken home and put in the closet like any clothing item? Some people think this ad is sort of funny… but not us. According to a recent New York Times article, the photographer of the ad asked Victoria, “You’re kind of a product yourself, aren’t you?” He reports that “She was, like, ‘Uh, yeah.’ “
— Jennifer Berger